ACCF/AHA Level 2 (or 3) Training
All eligibility requirements must be completed prior to submitting a CBCCT application. If training in cardiovascular CT is incomplete or not correctly documented, the application will not be accepted. If documentation of requirements is missing or incomplete, a resubmission fee of $75 will be assessed. All documentation must be in English or accompanied by a translation.
Cardiology or Nuclear Medicine Applicants: Level 2 CCT training requires 250 contrast cardiac CT exams, for 65 of these cases the Applicant must be physically present and involved in the acquisition and interpretation; and an evaluation of 50 non-contrast cardiac CT exams (may be the same 250 contrast cases with an initial non-contrast study). Applicants with formal training and experience in lieu of training in cardiovascular CT MUST follow the ACC Task Force 4 2015 COCATS Guidelines for Training in Cardiovascular Computed Tomography (Level 2).* For details, see the table and descriptions of case requirements.
Radiology Applicants have the option of completing Level 2 CCT training as outlined in the ACC Task Force 4 2015 COCATS Guidelines for Training in Computed Tomography (Level 2)*, or completing the case requirements for CCT as outlined in the American College of Radiology Practice Guidelines. These case requirements include supervision and/or interpretation of a minimum of 50 contrast cardiac CT cases (excluding those performed exclusively for calcium scoring) which CBCCT requires be completed no earlier than 12 months prior to application for the CBCCT examination; AND interpretation of 300 thoracic CT exams in the past 36 months, if qualified in thoracic CT; OR interpretation of 500 CT exams, including 50 thoracic CT in the past 36 months if not qualified in thoracic CT in accordance with the ACR Practice Guideline for the Performance and Interpretation of Cardiac CT and the ACR Practice Guideline for Performing and Interpreting Diagnostic CT.
If these 300/500 (including the 50 contrast cardiac CT) cases were completed more than 12 months prior to application, CBCCT requires documentation of a minimum of 75 cardiac CT cases completed in the last 12 months.
Testamur Applicants in addition to having completed cardiac CT Level 2 or met the ACR Practice Guidelines for training in cardiac CT at time of application, must meet one of the following requirements:
- You are in your fellowship/residency training; or
- You completed fellowship/residency training within 24 months of applying for the CBCCT examination; or
- You are currently in or will be starting an advanced cardiac imaging fellowship prior to this year’s application deadline.
Documentation to Verify Training in Cardiovascular CT
One or more of the following documents verifying completion of training must be submitted with the application:
- A certificate from a Level 2 (or 3) training course showing the dates of training and the number of cases including the manner in which they were performed. Multiple course certificates are acceptable; or
- A letter from a supervisor or Program Director, who must be Level 2 (or 3) or ACR-qualified, attesting that the Applicant has completed CCT training. CBCCT’s Training and Experience Verification letter template can be used to satisfy this requirement. This letter must be dated and printed on the author’s organizational letterhead; or
- A letter from the Society of Cardiovascular Computed Tomography (SCCT) Verification of cardiovascular CT Experience Program confirming the Applicant’s training
All Level 2 (or 3) Applicants must have completed their Level 2 training within a period of 36 months.
*While CBCCT is currently requiring that Cardiology/Nuclear Medicine and Radiology (if applicable) applicants complete their casework for CT training using the 2015 COCATs guidelines, we will NOT enforce the minimum 8-week training component of the guidelines in the 2021 application cycle only. Please continuously review this page for further updates.
CBCCT reserves the right to audit documentation submitted to demonstrate eligibility qualifications. If audited, applicants must provide CBCCT with a cardiac CT case log. Under audit of case logs, the following information is required: numerical listing of cases including date and an anonymous identifier; scan indication; scan procedure including type and scope of cardiac CT exams (e.g., CTA native coronaries; CTA bypass grafts, etc.) and; key findings.